Football Club “Torpedo“ in the 1940s
FC Torpedo Kutaisi was founded in 1946 on the base of Kutaisi Automotive Plant. In 1949 the club became the winner of the Georgian SSR Championship. In 1959 two football clubs “FC Torpedo Kutaisi” and “FC Locomotive Kutaisi” were united and the name remained “FC Torpedo Kutaisi”. In 1962 “FC Torpedo Kutaisi” was firstly,became a participant in the Soviet Top League. Many famous Georgian football players began their career in this club. For example, when Dinamo Tbilisi won UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup in 1980–81, five footballers were the ex-players of FC Torpedo Kutaisi.